|LEX Scholarship Information|
Recently, the American Bar Association Commission on the Future of Legal Services in America released a report dedicated in part to “all who seek innovative answers to enhancing access to, and the delivery of, legal services.” This report recognizes that, despite sustained efforts to expand the public's access to legal services, significant unmet needs persist; among other recommendations, the report urges consideration of regulatory innovations in the area of legal services delivery. With the advent of this report, the arrival of Limited License Legal Technicians (LLLTs), and the general increase in access to justice initiatives across the country, the question of whether paralegals should be licensed or regulated in a formal way by each state is a timely question. Please write an essay about whether paralegals should be formally licensed or regulated on the state level; remember that you should assess the pros and cons of regulation for all relevant constituencies (the public, the legal profession, and paralegals). Also remember that your essay should take the form of an advocacy position grounded in authority including statutes and relevant legal analyses, and not be based only on personal opinion grounded in emotion. Citation to relevant authority -- both primary and secondary -- is critical.
1. Who may submit an application for a LEX Scholarship?
Any student who is registered as a full or part time student in a school that has a LEX Chapter may submit an application.
2. How many scholarships are awarded each year?
AAfPE awards up to five (5) scholarships each year.
3. How much is the scholarship award?
Each scholarship is $500.
4. How can the scholarship money be used?
The scholarship award is made payable to the student winner and is to be used to continue the pursuit of the student’s paralegal education.
5. May the scholarship be transferred and used at another school?
6. What is the deadline for submitting an application?
The 2017 Scholarship essays must be received by January 15, 2017.
7. What documents must be submitted?
8. When will the scholarship be awarded?
The scholarship will be awarded prior to the end of spring the academic year.
9. Where can I find the application?
Each AAfPE Program Director who has a LEX Chapter will receive the scholarship application and will make it available to their students.
10. If a student has applied in the past, can they submit a new application for the current year?
Yes, even a past recipient may apply.